Saturday 3 December 2016

Heresy Heroes024 Rowan Centaur Archer, Ral Partha Personalities and Things Winged Gremlin and Shadowforge Dark Temple Spear Warrior

Not strictly old lead... a bit of a mixed bag posting, but with a vague ancient Greece theme. The next nuggets to be extracted from the Lead Mountain were the Heresy Centaur and the Ral Partha Gremlin, and as they are small figures I thought I'd post them here at the same time. First up, the Heresy sculpt - a bit stylised, with what looks to be a truncated torso and elongated legs - but its well detailed, and I think it would serve well for a NPC that shows up on a regular basis. A nice and simple paint job, mostly browns and leather, and then the Army Painter soft tone wash did the hard work. Simples! Pleased with the way this turned out. At the same time I extracted the Ral Partha Winged Gremlin. Now, I am not sure that it is complete - I can't find this sculpt on Lost Minis - and I suspect that it is missing a weapon from its right hand. Still, it's still a great sculpt - for something that is nearly 40 years old I think it holds up really well - and it will definitely serve as a generic dungeon demon. This was a lovely mini to paint - a base coat of red, then a wash of GW crimson, then just dry brushing, which really brought out the detail. Again, pleased with the result. The Shadow Forge Dark Temple Spear Warrior is part of an Amazon HOTT army I am painting up, and when I was photographing the minis I wanted something to show the scale of the Ral Partha mini, and that was the first figure to hand. I like the look of Shadow Forge minis, especially their centaurs, although I think that sometimes their sculpting of arms leaves a lot to be desired. I'll post pics of the HOTT army as it progresses.

4 comments:

  1. The gremlin is the first version of Ral Partha 01-005 Winged Gremlin.

    He originally came with a scimitar-like sword that was *very* thin at the base, so I'm not surprised that yours broke off - mine did, too. The arms were also out to the side; yours have been bent in toward the torso.

    Here's an image of one that I pulled off eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1977-Ral-Partha-WINGED-GREMLIN-Miniature-01-005-v1-/132003632836?hash=item1ebc0796c4:g:QY0AAOSw4GVYKkKl

    My original version, purchased all those decades ago, did *not* have those large sprue gates leading from the hands to the base. I suspect this is either a later cast from Iron Wind Metals (RP's successor in the US), or possibly an unauthorized recast by a hobbyist.

    At any rate, I like your paint job. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh that explains a lot! Great detective work - I spent hours looking for him on Lost Minis and simply couldn't find him. Well done you!

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy seeing your figures, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete